Saturday, November 14, 2009

Why can't Sesame Street be real life...







I was 5 when Seseme Street first burst onto the scene in 1969. I actually remember that day- My Mom made my twin sister and I sit on the floor in front of the TV to watch and I was amazed.....


1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10

Remember that?


I do. Big Bird was dopey but sweet and certainly someone you want around- after he (she?) can reach all the tall stuff in your kitchen. Everyone on the street were NEIGHBORS and I really wished my street was like theirs, even if it did have Oscar the Grouch. The neighbors were diverse before anyone thought about that kind of stuff. Since I grew up in white-bread Pennsylvania I had no clue who Hispanics were but I sure liked Maria and Luis. I had only seen a few black people at that age and I knew Gordon had cool hair, but he seemed nice enough.

Yes yes- admit it- Ernie and Bert were GAY. Yup- you know it- and I adored them.

I remember my sister and I even got a Grover and Oscar stuffed animals and Grovers arms and legs were perfect for tying him upside down from the kitchen table light- who couldn't smile when you saw happy silly Grover? I mean , really!

They were kind but real people. I learned how to speak a few Spanich words and we sang. It is still one of the best thought out shows around. Don't believe me? Check it out: http://www.sesamestreet.org/home

When my children were little we were given the 30th anniversery VHS tape of the muppets and it was hilarious. Good messages about the environment, good music ('Doin' the chicken...') certainly worth watching with kids today. The Muppet Show was one of the funniest family shows of it's time and I wish they would bring it back!! http://www.muppetcentral.com/

Fragglerock! YEAHHHH!
The Muppets Take Manhattan!
Tickle me Elmo!

All Hail Kermit The Frog!

No comments:

Post a Comment