Thursday, October 8, 2009

My Monkey Baby






When we were kids, my sister always wanted a pet monkey. She would dream about pushing it around in a carriage and building an inside jungle gym for it. She would take care of it and it would be adorable and wonderful. This was typical cutsie little girls stuff. She thought monkeys were cute and it would be sooooo fun to have one to dress up and play with. She is now a grown woman with 3 kids and has seen the silliness of this pre-adolescent girl fantasy.


I had forgotten this until Sunday night when I was flipping channels and stumbled on a documentary. I understand that my sister has matured and realized the folly of baby animals in the suburbs.



Unfortunately this is not the case for the folks displayed on the new TLC "reality" show called 'My Baby Monkey". Trust me , there is little reality here for these folks. If you haven't seen this already go ahead and boost their Neilson ratings and take a gander at this on-air train wreck. I kid you not- these loons have pet monkeys that they dress up, diaper, and sleep with. I have a feeling that this is quite possibly an American -only phenomenon. In our spoiled world yes folks, there is room for lonely souls keep pet monkeys and treat them as children.


Want to see an example? Check this out: http://http//www.youtube.com/watch?v=uP4k1imPy54



Honestly, I couldn't make this stuff up!


This is more than strange, it is sad. And hilarious. These baby-monkeys certainly were better dressed than my own children when they were little. I was almost ashamed- ooh wait- nevermind. I was very ashamed. I could not tear my eyes away. The baby-monkeys crap all over the house. I feel so emotionally healthy now I could rival Dr. Phil for advice! Call me- I am qualified!!

It is heart wrenching to see a tiny two-week old baby recently taken from it's mother being bottle-fed by it's new 'parents' and even worse to witness this monkey mama's frantic reaction- are we that conceited to think we can do better at raising this baby? What would PETA have to say?




Do we really have so much free time that we have to feed our unresolved parental needs with wild animals? Do we, as a rich society really want to encourage this? As a soon-to-be emptynester, I am qualified to speak on this topic. I clearly understand the biological pull that can effect our feelings and behavior, but baby monkeys? REALLY?

Now I am usually of the belief that it takes all kinds to make the world go around and normally I would not think to judge others about their lifestyle choices, but this is different. Honestly, this program glorified the pathology that created this compulsion. Frankly, a mental health professional is dearly needed here.
For me, I think, since I can't wait to watch this again....





No comments:

Post a Comment